By Andy Clifford, Aquatic Teams Director
There are many reasons to start a fitness program in the water. The benefits range from improved health, strength, and endurance to reduced stress. Below find a few reasons why swimming is good for you and how to get started.
1. Heart Health – Swimming provides unparalleled cardio conditioning
2. Great Cross-training and Recovery – Swimming is great cross training and provides excellent recovery from land based exercise
3. Increased Flexibility – Swimming can help increase range of motion and flexibility
4. Core Strength – Swimming with good technique is great for building core strength
5. Endurance – A consistent swimming regimen will help improve your endurance
6. Social Outlet – Swimming with a group is a great social experience and lots of fun
7. Stress Reducer – Being in the water is a great way to reduce your stress level
8. Weight Loss – Swimming at an aerobic heart rate level will help lower weight
Do you need help getting started on a swimming regimen? Here are a few ways to help you dive in.
1. Come try out a Ladera Oaks Masters swim practice. They coaches and team members are very supportive. Speed is not important, if you can swim, you can swim Masters.
2. Take a swim lesson. A swim lesson or two can help you brush up on your skills and provide you with basic training ideas.
3. Grab a friend and go to the pool. It will be fun, I promise.
4. Go to the United States Masters Swimming website. It has a wealth of information from getting started to technique to equipment. Visit USMS.org.
5. Fall off a ferryboat in San Francisco Bay (not recommended)!
Good luck with your new swimming venture! Need information? Contact Andy Clifford at firstname.lastname@example.org.